Top Ecommerce Marketing Trends for 2017
About half of all Internet users have made a digital purchase. More people are buying online. The ecommerce business is increasing and Statista predicts that by the year 2021, online revenue generated by ecommerce, will have doubled since 2015.
Smart Insights conducted a poll based on a survey of 1500 of their members. The question was, â€œWhat is the biggest trend in digital marketing as shown by what will make the most difference to your business, i.e. which digital marketing technique will give you the most uplift or incremental benefits?â€
The top three trends, as defined by these hands-on marketers, is what weâ€™ll be discussing in this article, and specifically what they mean for ecommerce:
No 1: Content marketing
22% of marketers say that content marketing is the number one marketing priority in 2016.
What is content? It is information that is engaging, relevant, engaging, helpful, interesting, entertaining or inspirational. It comes in the form of text, image, video or audio.
Seven out of the top ten ecommerce stores in the world, use content marketing as an integral part of their business strategy.
You may ask why an ecommerce store would need content when their primary goal is to sell products well, content marketing increases customer scope.
Actually, nine out of ten B2B buyers report that content has a â€œmoderate to major effectâ€ on their buying decisions. In addition, 84% CEOâ€™s and VPâ€™s use social media networks before purchasing.
Content is a big deal for any online business nowadays. Itâ€™s why the worldâ€™s top earning blogs make between $15 000 and $30 000 a day, some of which publish content 600 times a week!
The major benefits of content marketing for commerce include:
- Higher search engine ranking = more website traffic = more sales.
- Become the go-to in your niche.
- The majority of your customers are not ready to buy when they first land on an ecommerce store. Using content can keep them as a subscriber until theyâ€™re ready to buy.
- Increase loyalty by increasing engagement with your current customers. This leads to more sales and word of mouth advertising.
No 2: Big Data
17% of marketers consider big data â€“ data that is used to provide a better customer experience leading to higher conversions â€“ to be the second most important priority in 2016.
Most marketers are already using Big Data in some form or another â€“ Google Trends is one way of accessing Big Data, and monitoring social media is another.
Hereâ€™s a practical example you may have noticed: you do an Internet search for, letâ€™s say travel locations. The next time you log into Facebook, you suddenly start seeing ads about travel in your news feedâ€¦ Thatâ€™s Facebook using Big Data for more relevant ad targeting.
For ecommerce, Big Data is especially exciting because it can bring back prospects who abandon their shopping carts, and turn them into customers. Big Data can personalize your userâ€™s experience to such an extent, that youâ€™ll make sales where you wouldnâ€™t usually.
Use Big Data to:
- Keep better tabs on your business.
- Track customer behavior.
- Develop new products.
- Track customer preferences.
- Improve marketing campaigns.
- Ad targeting.
And much moreâ€¦
You are only limited by your imagination and budget, with what you can do with Big Data, which brings us to our next pointâ€¦one way of utilizing Big Data is with marketing automation tools who includes shopping cart abandonment workflows in their softwareâ€¦
No 3: Marketing automation
13% of marketers consider marketing automation to be the third most important marketing priority in the next year.
Marketing automation not only dramatically cuts down the time needed to perform routine marketing tasks, but also results in increased leads.
What are marketing automation benefits specific to ecommerce?
- Win back shoppers who abandon shopping carts. If the average shopping cart abandonment rate is 68%, thatâ€™s the amount of sales youâ€™re losing if you donâ€™t manage the process.
- By tracking everything, ecommerce stores can understand user behavior and use it in their marketing funnel to increase leads.
- Use surveys to understand your target audience better and improve keywords, as well as local SEO keywords.
- Automate and optimize transactional emails.
- Optimize product pages and landing pages with A/B testing.
- Capture new leads with specials, and use webinars to attract new customers.
- Build loyalty programs and engage with your customers more effectively.
Research shows that almost half the amount of Internet users have bought something online and that by 2021, ecommerce revenue will have doubled since 2015.
1500 Digital marketers who took part in a poll, confirmed that the top three marketing trends for 2016 included:
1. Content marketing as the most important marketing strategy for 2016, followed closely by
2. Big Data, which 17% report as the second most important area to focus on, and in third place is
3. Marketing automation, which gets a 13% vote of importance.